The attorneys at Cragun Law Firm are ready to take on your case and pursue it for the best legal outcome. Our attorneys have taken a variety of litigation cases to trial and have had amazing success.
Your Litigation Attorneys
When you want to pursue a lawsuit, the lawyers at Cragun Law Firm are ready to consult with you and determine the best course of action. The litigation process can be tricky and complicated, and we can guide you through it with our knowledge and experience in litigation law.
The Litigation Process
The common litigation process goes as follows:
- The plaintiff brings an action against the defender by filing a complaint with the court clerk.
- The defendant is served a summons by mail or by a process server.
- Both parties meet to discuss all issues, potential settlements, and plans for the discovery phase of litigation.
- The court that the plaintiff filed with has a pretrial conference or has a pretrial scheduling order.
- The defendant files any motions.
- The defendant answers the initial complaint and files with the same court.
- The discovery phase of the process includes information requests from both the defendant and plaintiff. These can be admissions, which is denying or admitting to asserted facts; interrogatories, which is questions relating to case facts; or production, where each party asks the others for important case documents.
- Any final motions may be filed.
- There is a final pre-trial conference before actual trial.
- Trial commences.
- The judge and/or jury reaches a verdict and passes judgement.
- If the losing party is unsatisfied with the judgement, then an appeal can be made. However, this does not guarantee that a judgement will change.
An Example Case
One example of a successful litigation case is that of P.D. P.D. was removed from her parents through the Division of Child and Family Services and placed into a bad household where she frequently experienced emotional abuse. Although a caring aunt and uncle were willing and eager to take her in, their adoption request was ignored. Cragun Law Firm stepped in, and against incredible odds, was able to secure the aunt and uncle’s right to adopt P.D.
When you have a lawsuit that seems impossible, Cragun Law Firm can consult with you, advise you on what is possible, and guide your case through litigation, if necessary. Call our litigation attorneys in Ogden, UT today at 801-866-0031.